It’s that time of year again…time to give our list of the 5 best and most popular toaster ovens of 2014.
To make the list, the toaster oven had to be more than just a best seller. It also had to perform well and be worth purchasing. There are many toaster ovens that sell like hot cakes, but aren’t really good or worth buying. All of the ones mentioned below are recommended and are highly sought after.
We’ve only provided the highlights of each one, so for more detailed information, or to read more reviews, just click on the links provided.
1) Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven
Est. Price $250
No change here, the Breville Smart Oven still reins supreme.
It is the #1 selling convection oven on Amazon.com, and truth be told, the other two smaller models (Breville BOV650XL and Breville BOV450XL) could have easily been numbers two and three on this list.
However, to give you some variety, we just lumped them together into one as they are all exceptionally great ovens.
- The most user-friendly oven in existence. No other oven has as many useful and convenient features as the Smart Oven. It will make you want to cook and bake more. Trust us.
- State-of-the-art technology. Element IQ is Breville’s patented technology that delivers heat in just the right places and in just the right amount to give you mouth watering results. It truly is superb.
- 9 preset cooking functions. Not sure what time and temperature to use? No problem. Let the Smart Oven do the thinking for you.
- Large capacity offers unlimited cooking options. The BOV800XL can easily act as a second oven, thus saving you time and energy.
- Perfectly toasted bagels, toast, English muffins, or anything else you put in it.
- Automatic rack pull out makes taking hot items out of the oven (or putting items in) so much easier.
- Well designed and simple to operate.
- High price
- Doesn’t have an interior light
2) WaringPro TCO650
Est. Price $79 – $115
Searching for a countertop oven that doesn’t have a non-stick interior lining isn’t an easy task. The Waring TCO650 offers an alternative option for those who don’t want a non-stick interior. It also happens to be one of the best convection ovens with digital controls that you can buy for under one hundred dollars (price varies).
- Excellent convection oven for the price
- Toasts and bakes very well
- Simple to operate digital controls for more precise and consistent results
- It comes with a five year warranty, which is a testament to the manufacturer’s belief in its quality
- Removable front access crumb tray for quicker cleaning
- With its 6 slice capacity, it offers a range of cooking options
- Take away the loud alert system and virtually all negative reviews go away – pretty impressive considering most ovens these days are riddled with bad reviews.
- Loud alert system, which some find annoying. You can disable it, however.
- The rack doesn’t automatically slide out when the door opens
3) Cuisinart TOB-40
As the second most sold toaster oven on Amazon, and for a long time the number one seller, the classic Cuisinart TOB-40 makes the list again. It is one of our favorites, and for good reason.
- Simple to use with a classic look
- Toasts great with its always even shade control
- Bakes well despite not having a convection fan
- Accessible front access crumb tray
- Good size – not too big and not too small
- Hands free automatic slide out rack for easier access to your hot food
- There is no timer. Don’t ask why, it doesn’t make sense. Just buy a stand alone timer – problem solved.
- No convection bake option. While there is no convection fan, the oven still bakes evenly and consistently.
4) Black & Decker TO1332SBD
Est. Price $30
New to the list this year, and currently the #1 best selling toaster oven on Amazon.com for 2014 is Black & Decker’s TO1332SBD. It may not be the flashiest or have as many features as some of the other ovens on this list, but it gets the job done at a great price.
- No frills toaster oven that does what it is supposed to do
- Toasts surprisingly well and evenly for the price
- Simple to operate – only has two dials
- Very affordable
- Heats up quickly and holds the temperature well
- Great for small portions
- Small size hinders the cooking posibilities
- Some units have been known to smoke
- No automatic slide-out rack
5) Panasonic NB-G110P Flash Xpress
Est. Price $89 – $120
Because speed is such a priority for people these days, the Panasonic NB-G110P made the list for the simple fact that it is the fastest cooking toaster oven around. It is definitely not for everyone and won’t suit everybody’s needs, but when speed is what you’re looking for, this is the one to get.
- Infrared heating makes this oven cook super fast – no preheating is necessary
- Automatic slide out rack makes for easy access to food
- Small footprint
- Quality built – you should get good use out of this as many report that their oven is still going strong after 10 years of use
- Heats evenly and is superb for reheating leftovers
- Easy to use
- Small footprint also means you are limited in what you can fit in it
- No broil option
- Timer only goes up to 25 minutes
- There is a bit of a learning curve as traditional cooking temperatures and times won’t apply as this cooks much faster than a normal oven
Just because these are our top 5 toaster oven choices for 2014, it doesn’t mean that all of them are right for you or that there aren’t other great options out there. Be sure that you read our in-depth reviews to determine if one of these would be a good fit or not. Also, if you have any questions, feel free to drop a comment below or on one of our reviews.
You may also want to read our top 5 toaster ovens for 2013 as well.